Friday, March 04, 2005

8 to 10 Years

I figure that I have 8 to 10 years of viable living left. Maybe less, seeing as I have diabetes. So I guess I will plan on 5 years. So what is in my 5 year plan?

1. I will stay in my current marriage as there is caring for each other. Who else will I get to wipe the drool from my lips when I get unable to take care of myself. Is this not part of the marriage contract? I don’t have the time or energy for a divorce and to find someone new.

2. I will move in the next year or two to the same town in which my oldest son lives. As he can drive me around when I have to give up driving. BTW, he has agreed to do this.

3. Throw away the stuff I have been keeping for “just in case.” As my life winds down, I am less and less likely to need this stuff. Like when will I need a Win95 boot diskette. But I do feel that I am throwing myself away. Men tend to identify themselves with their job, which I no longer have, and/or with their possessions.

4. Lose some weight. I have already lost about 25 pounds in the last 6 months and still need to lose more. To get to my high school weight I need to lose 60 lb, however I will be happy with losing another 25 lbs. The 25lbs I did lose enabled me to drop 2 of the 5 high blood pressure meds which is saving me a couple of hundred dollars a month.

5. Keep up with computer technology. I have a Win98, A-Plus and Net-Plus certificates. I need to go ahead and get my Win XP certificate and maybe some others.

6. ...

I’m sure there are more items to add to this list, but this is all I can think of for right now.

2 Comments:

At 3/04/2005 4:03 PM, Blogger Rita said...

You might surprise yourself.

Mindful care of the diabetes and weight loss might give you quite a bit longer than you might imagine.

 
At 3/04/2005 6:25 PM, Blogger SunsetMan said...

Rita,
It would be nice to have more time, but most of the life expectancy quizzes show me checking out in my seventies.

Although, my dad and one of his older brothers are still alive. But none are left on my mother's side.

SunsetMan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home