Sunday, March 06, 2005

Why I'm retired

Short answer:
Medical reasons, high blood pressure.

Long answer:
A long time ago the Docs diagnosed me with having hypertension. I was given meds to reduce my blood pressure. However, the meds caused me to have less drive and to think slower and not as well. I felt as though I was a bit drunk, that is as in impaired, but without the buzz. I tried different meds and classes of meds. All give me the same result. I tried very low doses to try to creep up on an effective dose. This did not work. The Docs could not understand why I responded to the meds in this manner. Tests showed that the walls of my heart were thicken due to pumping against the higher pressure. I just had to take the meds as my bp was 210/100, stroke levels. I went on a low dose, just enough to keep my bp from rising any more. My performance as a teacher was called into question while I was on the meds. I had to do something. I looked into to a medical leave but I did not know how long I needed to get used to the meds. So I looked into early retirement. Assuming a much less active life style and the reduction in expenses due to not working, I would have enough money to get by. So I retired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home