Saturday, August 06, 2005

RSS

I've been using Mozilla Firefox as my Internet browser. Why? Several reasons chief among them are:

1) Built in pop-up blocker. Seems to work better and not get in the way like IE with a third party blocker.

2) Ability to increase text size. Some fonts, font sizes, and color schemes are hard for this old man to read. I especially have trouble with red background.

3) Built in RSS reader. I have setup many of my favorite blogs on RSS feed. In Firefox this is a tool bar and a list of blogs that I have setup. As I move my mouse pointer over the blog name a list of the last five or more postings are displayed. That away I can quickly move through the blogs looking for new postings. The only catch is that I need to remember the last posting title. Not too bad for the 35 or so blogs I am currently watching and reading. Oh, its easy to set up for the RSS feed. While viewing the blog, click on the RSS feed symbol in the lower right corner and save to the bookmark toolbar folder. A few blogs do not offer RSS feed. For these I must revert back to using the regular bookmarks to read them.

The one enchantment I would like would be some way to know if I had read that posting without remembering the posting title. Like a color change for the text.

How many of you are using a RSS reader to keep up with your favorite reads and how many Blogs do you check for new posting each day?

8 Comments:

At 8/06/2005 7:03 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

I somehow mix and match. Some are RSS, other's I will just click on anyway to check the comments, so it's not as important as the rss one. And, I too, have trouble remembering titles... I have about 40 blogs plus I check on. Although I go in spurts on which ones I will read fanatically! Not everyone's good at posting very often.

 
At 8/07/2005 8:46 AM, Blogger SunsetMan said...

What are you using for a RSS reader?

About a third of the blogs open with comments showing using the RSS feed. The rest, like yours, I have to click again to see the comments. (Oh, that is not a complaint, just a statement.)

Most of us bloggers do not post every day. I try to post at least once a week even if it is just blabbing. But I do try to read every day however I don't always comment. But I think I should comment more often - especially to those posters who do not get many comments. Anyway using the RSS feed makes it easier and faster to find new postings, thus giving me more time to read postings.

 
At 8/07/2005 6:40 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

I use firefox. I save them all in my toolbar, so I only have to click on the blogs I see! Fun!

And yeah, when I redid my template, I screwed up the commenting, but I have been to sites that you can only see the blogger comments with RSS, and haloscan if you open the whole blog, and not just one post... streange...

 
At 8/08/2005 9:29 AM, Blogger SunsetMan said...

Jamie, I have not seen the strange behavior you have talked about using RSS. Could you send me the URL of one of the sites? Either here in comments or email. I am curious about what is going on.

BTW curiosity is my greatest weakness.

 
At 8/08/2005 10:37 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Curiosity is a virtue. you've got mail.

 
At 8/27/2005 3:46 PM, Blogger CoolDestiny said...

I've been using Mozilla for about 3 weeks now and it is a blast! I don't use the RSS feed feature though because I don't know much about it. Since you have recommended, I'll definitely check it out.

 
At 9/22/2006 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://fbmflfoc.com/bnpm/wpsg.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wwzqugpy.com/llfs/yfce.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 9/22/2006 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://fbmflfoc.com/bnpm/wpsg.html | http://yiveintf.com/yncm/gxen.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home