Sunday, January 29, 2006

I'm a handyman

In a few weeks the wife and I will be driving to North Carolina so I can help with the remodeling on the sister-in-law's house. Her husband has a few physical problems making it hard for him to do much of the work. There are several projects I'll be working on. The front entry needs a new floor starting with the subfloor, which is water damaged, and then laying a hard wood floor. The SIL wants me to take out a flourescent light in the kitchen and replace it with some track lighting. This will probably require some rewiring of the AC power in the ceiling. I am to repair, read cover up, some termite damage - - the termites are gone. Also I am to install some trim, around a door, some shoe molding and some crown molding. And more. I have a long list but many of the things are routine maintenance items that have just been left undone.

I'll load up my tools and head off in the morning of the 16th. First its to St Louis hoping to arrive after rush hour and then east on I-64. We're planing to over night in Lexington. The next day its on to Charleston then south on I-77 to I-74 and then on to Raleigh on I-40. If the weather is bad, I may go south from the St Louis area and pick up I-40. I don't like I-40 as it is wall-to-wall trucks. Another option if the weather is bad is to just delay the trip for a day or two.

The wife will enjoy visiting with her sister and, believe it or not, I will enjoy the handyman work.

6 Comments:

At 1/29/2006 6:21 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

I just read your answer to my comment, ha ha.

What high blood pressure does to your veins is make them hard. And a hard vein, or thickened vein is harder to get into. Age does this, too. You generally will need a longer, bigger vein to get into, instead of hoping for the smaller hand veins. Because you will need a longer bigger needle. The thinner ones can bend at the pressure of getting through.

There are a few things that hospitals need more of. One of them is a numbing spray. Another is a numbing gel. Many times, the gel must be placed 45 minutes before the IV insertion. So it isn't convenient for the doctor to wait(especially a surgeon!) And the spray is quite superficial, and I've heard it doesn't help much. But what the patient hears is compassion, so I see your point, too.

I've had many patients ask to be sedated BEFORE the IV, and next time you have a procedure, ask for a pill of valium. Usually, even with an empty stomach, they can allow for one pill to calm your nerves.

As far as positioning, she may have been up on a valve, and they can be a pain for both you and the nurse. However, I think she was just 'digging' for the vein, as the vein was tough to get into. And that hurts. I only dig on really tough patients. If I think I can get in elsewhere, I leave it up to the patient to choose.

I personally HATE hand veins. OUCH! When I talk about positioning, hand veins are one of the worst, if your patient is awake. Every time they move the hand, it slows or stops the IV.

Well, hope you have a good trip, and enjoy your handimaking! I sure could use a handiman around here, but I have no sisters to bring their husbands! D'oh!

 
At 8/29/2006 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://vaorhmdj.com/cvma/mhrn.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://dcsnrarf.com/jjif/ijnl.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 8/29/2006 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 8/29/2006 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://vaorhmdj.com/cvma/mhrn.html | http://xpckeapx.com/shjp/zguf.html

 
At 9/18/2006 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contractors and Homeowners

Can You Fix this and Can you fix that well

fannie may home improvement program Advice at http://remodeling11.com/bee.pl?ki=master&remodeling=home . If you are Looking for fannie may home improvement program Then Here it is

 
At 9/21/2006 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloggerrrrrrrrrs

construction accident Advice at http://good-remodeling.com/wood.pl?expert=remodeling . If you are Looking for construction accident Then Here it is

 

Post a Comment

<< Home