Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I'm such a dumb shit

I got my first job when I was 16 at the local drug store as a soda jerk in the afternoons after school and worked until closing at 10:00 PM. There were three of us working the counter two jerks (wait staff) and a short order cook. In addition there was the store manager, a pharmacist and a clerk in the afternoons until 5:00 PM then just the manager until closing. The manager and I were the only males working late. The jerks and the cook wore whites provided by the store. The place to change was in the basement among the boxes of goods stored there. I changed in south side and the women changed in the north side with only the boxes for modesty. The waitress that usually worked with me was a older (to a 16 year old) single mother. She was probably in her late 20s or early 30s. The cook was probably in her 40s and the manager was in his 50s. One afternoon the cook did not show up for work. The manager came to us, the wait staff, to see if one of us would cook that evening. The waitress did not want to cook as she made more tips working the counter than the small raise we would get for being the short order cook. As I had learned "survival cooking" on the insistence of my mother, I volunteered to cook that evening. With the help of the manager and the waitress I learned the grill. I became the alternate short order cook and cooked several evenings a week when the normal cook was not there. We usually shut down the grill ten to fifteen minutes before closing in order to get grill and the counter cleaned up so we could leave by ten-fifteen. One evening, because of some late grill orders, I did not get to start cleaning the grill until almost closing. When the waitress finished cleaning up the counter area, she came by and asked if I needed any help cleaning up the grill and the grill area. I told her no, that I would be finished soon and for her to go ahead and change. In a few minutes I headed down the stairs, turned to the north side and saw her standing there in her bra and panties. I asked her what she was doing in my changing area. She replied that she wanted to see me changing. At that point I did not know what to do. She asked if I had seen a woman nude before. I answer n-n-no, stepped behind another stack of boxes, turned my back, changed my clothes as fast as possible and ran up the stairs. After that she often changed her clothes near me and would ask me questions about my experiences with girls. As I had none, I had nothing to talk to her about. One time she took off her bra and asked me if I wanted to touch them. I just turned red and shook my head no. After a while she gave up on trying to get me interested.

Boy, what a fool I was! It would be several years after that before I got another chance to be with a woman. Well there was another time, if I had known anything about girls, that there was a classmate that showed some interest in me in a sexual way. But I'll tell that story another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home